Tuesday, May 22, 2012

beginning thoughts of the intern

I started my summer internship yesterday, 21 May 2012 at St Andrews Secondary School.

All I can say or describe the experience is --- I am very, very blessed; and for the following reasons

(1) My teaching supervisor is damn ups.
(2) The staff here are exceedingly, unashamedly friendly --- always taking the first initiative to make us newbies feel terribly at home.
(3) I have been tasked to teach (already!) English Oral tomorrow because my supervisor wants me to experience all forms and styles of teaching... this kind of supervisor WHERE TO FIND?!
(4) I have been tasked to prepare the slides and be part of a mega-project.

So thus far, the experience has been WOW.

There is indeed so, so much to thank God for.

Yet this morning, as I walked towards the bus stop to catch the bus to the station, I prayed and was reminded of Matthew 6:33 which says "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you".

What struck me was the placement of this verse in context to the rest of Jesus's sermon on the mount. The preceding verses all speak of Sovereign God's providence for us, His children. We are worth so much more than the birds of the air and the lilies of the field, and if He provides for His creation, surely He will provide so much more for us!

So as I begin to consider (more) seriously now the prospects of working in this profession, here I am reminded of one's vocation as a calling. Even as I take on the abovementioned roles, duties and tasks, I don't want to amass for myself treasures --- yes, that which includes good impressions and/or praises and acclaim from others. And even as I think about the salaries offered - practical stuff - I don't want to do/ not do this solely because of the material benefits.

Surely my God is more than enough to meet all of my needs according to His riches and glory! 

One then understands the summary of the quoted chapter; it says "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own troubles" (v.34).

Come to think of it, the hymn we sang today is amusingly...

"He's able! He's able!
I know He's able!
I know my God is able
to carry me through"

WHAT A (COHERENT) JOY! :D

No comments: