Saturday, August 29, 2009

sometimes i do wonder what in the world do i do certain things for. such a thought passed through my head as i was walking down the pavements just along Liang Court. i was there for a school function; rather, a school social event. an event which featured the strangest things you see on your screen coming to life. think a bit harder, and perhaps filthier and you're somewhere there. to most, it seems normal. honestly, there were times i enjoyed myself, revelling in the fun of it all. but on the hindsight, i wondered to myself: what in the world was i doing. then i started to imagine the impression or response of what my lecturer would call a 'generalized other' or 'significant other' may have on me. is this merely a sociology lecture lesson put into practice? Could Cooley or Mead have been right all along about the Looking Glass Self theory? but all this academic talk aside, what mattered most to me was really the impression and/or response this 'significant generalized other' would have/act towards me.

would you smile at this information, or
would you frown at it? or maybe
would you be completely neutral?

i probably knew the answer to that question
but somehow, somewhere, someday i'm hoping
just hoping that my imagined judgement
would be completely wrong.

No comments: